Thursday, April 5, 2012

Baby/Pregnancy Update

Some peole have asked questions about the baby and my pregnancy, so I thought I would answer them on the blog for all those who are curious. I promise not to share anything gross or inappropriate, but I also won't be offended if you skip out on the baby/pregnancy stuff.

due date: we're due somewhere around Sept 22nd, first it was the 19th but the doctor changed it to the 25th based on baby size at our last appointment. However, my calculations put us due on the 22nd, so that's what I'm sticking with. ;)

how far along: right now I'm 3 months pregnant

morning sickness: I have mostly had just the feeling of nausea, with a few bouts of actual throwing up now and then. I didn't get sick until week 8 and by week 12 the worst was over. Now I feel pretty good, but occasionally have to suck on hard candy to avoid throwing up.

cravings/aversions: in the beginning I craved fresh mandarins, and avoided pretty much everything else except popcorn and grilled cheese. I still eat a lot of bread and sandwiches, but I still can't handle much rice, spaghetti, or things that smell like garlic or oil (which is pretty bad since those are staples in Haitian cooking!).

weight gain: due to nausea I'm down 16 pounds. Baby is healthy, so no worries. But it also means I don't really look pregnant right now, which is disappointing. I really want a baby bump!

birth/doctor: We have a really great doctor here in Petionville that we've been seeing. He does an ultrasound everytime we go for an appointment, so I really enjoy that! He speaks English and is a very respected doctor among the expat/upper class community. I'll give birth in a maternity hospital in Petionville. It's about 20-30 minutes from our house, so it's not too far away and the nurses are very well trained. And it will be significantly cheaper to have the baby here than in the States.

I think that about covers it, but if you have more questions feel free to ask them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment