Saturday, February 2, 2013

Haitian Vegetables

Haiti has a lot of fruits and vegetables. When I moved here, I loved learning about the different things I had never eaten before. After 2.5 years, I'm pretty accustomed to my new cuisine. However, there are a few things that still make me chuckle.

Take for example, The World's Smallest Celery. It tastes exactly the same as big celery and it even has the same shape. It appears that it was just zapped by the shrink ray gun from Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

bottle cap and cutco knife to show size
There's also sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes have PURPLE skins in Haiti and are gray on the inside when cooked. For the first year I lived here, I asked what they were every time I saw them at the guest house. This isn't my picture, but it's exactly how sweet potatoes look in Haiti. It must be a South American variety.

3 comments:

  1. These vegetables are amazing! I've never seen them before! I love knowing what grows in other regions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really interesting looking sweet potato. I've read that there are hundreds (maybe thousands) of varieties of sweet potatoes in all sizes, colors and flavors. Here some people still prefer the white sweet potatoes, although most want them red.

    When I was in Haiti I was amazed at how delicious the fruit was. I also found it interesting that the Creole word for "okra" is "gumbo", which is the African word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the same kind of celery in Indonesia! I used to think that they just didn't let it grow long enough to get big, and picked it too early, but I have found out that it is actually a different variety of celery called "Chinese celery." Still isn't very nice for eating with peanut butter, though! :-P

    ReplyDelete