Friday, September 17, 2010

Haiti Q & A: What do you eat?

Q. What do you eat in Haiti?
A. So far I have eaten whatever Beth's cook, named Mira, has made for me. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have someone else cook a nice meal every single day! Mira is an excellent cook and makes a variety of dishes. Most of the the time she cooks eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. There have been a few days I've just eaten some fresh bread (I could live on the stuff it's so delicious!). The for dinner she has a system. She generally makes some sort of rice/beans, a meat or meat dish, gratinay (casserole), a hot vegetable, a salad and bread. So far I really like Haitian food. I'll try to take some pictures of other things we eat in the coming weeks.

Tonight we had ble (pronounced blay), which is a crushed wheat/grain, instead of rice with our beans.


Our meat dish was fried meatballs with a red sauce (my favorite sauce).


The gratinay tonight was something new. It's normally made with cabbage or potatoes and had a cheese sauce. It's baked in the oven and is yummy. Tonight Mira made it with lom, which is a gigantic vegetable that seems similar to a potato.


Tonight we had okra as our vegetable. Thankfully that one doesn't show up very often. My mom made me eat it once. I still think it's as disgusting as it was when I was a kid.




Yummy fresh bread. It takes on different shapes, but it tastes the same everyday.


2 comments:

  1. We would love to see a picture of a lom! It sounds interesting! We spotted a bottle of Ranch dressing in one of the photos and the kids noticed it was in English. Laurel was wondering if you take snacks to your students. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to get a picture of a lom. I tried to find one online, but "lom" is actually the shortened form of the word and I can't remember the full name. :) I haven't taken any snacks to my students, but I did bring some stickers, erasers, and bracelets that I will give them eventually.

    ReplyDelete