Saturday, January 23, 2010

Calling all adventure seekers

My mom and I spontaneously spent the afternoon shopping together. My mom came to town to shop, so we met at the mall. It was a really nice afternoon of shopping and talking.

We discussed the situation Haiti over lunch for quite a while. Ten years ago in June I spent a week in Haiti outside of Port au Prince in a mountain village called Gramothe. I lost contact with the missionaries we worked with several years ago, and I haven't heard anything about them since the earthquake 11 days ago. We both wondered how they were effected, and even if they were alive. My mom was able to remember the name of the mission organization and the last name of the missionaries, so I googled them when I got home. Willem and Beth Charles founded Mountain Top Ministries in 1999. You can visit their website or read their blog to learn more about their awesome work in Haiti. Since the earthquake they've been able to help a number of people, and have been hosting some medical teams.

Another topic my mom and I discussed at lunch was spring break--specifically my travel plans. Unfortunately, I have none. Well, I had no plans for traveling at the time. In the few short hours since lunch, I've started to develop a plan. I'd like to go to Haiti and help Willem and Beth with their relief efforts. I'm confident my skill set can be of service to Mountain Top Ministries and the Haitian people. And I'm certain you have gifts and talents the Lord can use there as well.

Would you consider joining me in Haiti the week of April 2-10?

No comments:

Post a Comment