Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Haiti Q & A: Your responsibilities?

Q. What will you be doing in Haiti?
A. I will have several tasks while I am in Haiti, most of which revolve around teaching English. What I'm looking forward to most is teaching English to 13 kids living at Laboule Children's Home. All of them are orphans between the ages of 7 and 14. The Red Thread has generously donated curriculum for this intense instruction.

Another big chunk of what I will be doing is helping the high school students at Gramothe Community School (I'm not sure what it's actually called) learn English. There is a Haitian who teaches English already, so I will be collaborating with him. My job will be to provide a language lab of sorts. From my understanding the students will attend regular class with the other teacher and then come to my class for extra practice on listening and speaking skills.

Someone at The Red Thread has created English curriculum for use with smaller children. I'll be providing basic English instruction for the kindergarten and first grade classes at Gramothe Community School. This is a little out of my comfort zone, but I think it will be a fun challenge.

The last part of my assignment is probably the one that causes the most trepidation for me. Willem and Beth have been given some moringa tree seeds and a program of sorts to implement that will teach people about the tree. They've asked me to incorporate the moringa tree into my work with the high school students. I'll be using some literature on the tree (in Creole) to teach about it's amazing nutritional value. In addition, I'm supposed to teach the students how to plant and care for the trees. Willem has a plot of land ready for me to use, and Beth has promised to help me implement the program. Frankly, I'm quite intimidated by this task!

No comments:

Post a Comment