Tuesday, December 29, 2009

An amazing legacy

My list of real life heroes seems to be growing lately. First I shared about these modern day heroes. Then I told you about my childhood hero who lived during the 19th century. Today I have another hero to add to the list.

Before Christmas I was reading Just Courage by Gary Haugen and learned about Donaldina Cameron. In 1895 Donaldina, 26 at the time, began a missionary career rescuing and rehabilitating Chinese women who were brought to San Fransisco and forced into prostitution. She became known as "Beloved Mother" by the women she worked with and "White Devil" by the men she rescued them from. In the 45 years she was in San Fransisco, she rescued and educated more than 3,000 women and girls!!

Though there is a book about Donaldina, Chinatown's Angry Angel, her story is not well known. I am going to try to get my hands on this book. I'll definitely let you know if I am able to find out more about this amazing woman and hero of the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment