Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trust

Tonight I saw one of my favorite students from last year. The kid has a severe case of ADHD--emphasis on the H--and was bouncing around the bleachers. I attempted to gain his attention when he came near me, but he was moving too fast to hear. A little while later his former girlfriend (another freshman) came to me and said that he was drunk. I sought him out, and unfortunately confirmed that she was correct.

It breaks my heart that at 14 he came to a school event intoxicated. He has so much potential, and I really want to see him succeed. Neither of his parents graduated from high school, but he wants something better for himself. He talked last year about his future and what he planned to do after graduating. He even talked about the hard work necessary to make graduation a reality. My heart breaks that he's making choices already that lead him away from his goals.

As I left the game, my heart cried out to the Lord. I pled with God to get a hold of his heart. I asked him to send someone to intervene in this kid's life. I prayed for wisdom for his father. I beseeched God to break the ties with the "friends" he was with before coming to the game. I implored the Lord to open his eyes to his mistakes and keep him from becoming bitter in the face of the consequences to his poor choices.

It doesn't seem like God is working in this young man's life. It doesn't seem like God is in control when one of my kids is throwing his life away. But as I stood in my backyard looking up at the stars, God reminded me that He is bigger than peer pressure, disease, and even child exploitation.

As I stood looking at the stars, I remembered that God knows each star's name. How much more does he know his children? The Holy Spirit reminded me that what I saw tonight was a very small slice of the physical world. I have no idea what else is going on in this boy's life, and I certainly can't see what's happening in the spiritual realm.

Tonight when things look bleak and I want to question God's ability to do his job, I choose to trust that he is in control and can do immeasurably more than I can ever ask or imagine in the life of this young boy.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8, 9

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 
Proverbs 3:5

4 comments:

  1. I added you to my reader. One more person leaving xanga... Well you are not leaving for good.
    I like reading what's on your mind. I admire your decision to serve with the youth group and leave your small group. God will reward you for putting others and serving above yourself. You are one in a million.

    I've been struggling with serving myself since having Nora. I know that this is a season in my life when I am focusing only on her and Nate. Doing too much on weekends or being away from Nora makes me sad and grumpy. I tried out the nursery ( I was asked to volunteer as I was picking up Nora so of course I said: I only like to be a consumer of this ministry. No, I said yes.) But then on my Sunday Nora was sick, long story short it wasn't a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of times kids with ADHD who aren't medicated attempt to self-medicate and unfortunately perhaps he falls into this crowd.

    ~Christy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing is he does take meds. We talked for quite a while, and I really think he was trying to impress these older friends he was with. I hope and pray God puts someone in his life that can show him a better way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you! Just wanted you to know we're going to start the study at the beginning of November. Keep an eye on the blog (which you do so faithfully--thank you!) for the specifics. Love, Danielle

    ReplyDelete